Quick and easy pesto pita bread pizza is perfect comfort food for when life gets busy. Let your family customize their pizzas and be confident this is a meal everyone will love!
Pesto is a fun way to make a unique pizza. It can also be a sneaky way to add extra veggies to a meal. For this recipe you can buy pesto or make your own - it is really easy!
Try either of these recipes:
If you make your own save it in smaller portions. Spoon the pesto into silicone muffin cups and freeze to make handy pesto pucks. Defrost in the refrigerator overnight or on a very low heat in the microwave.
For pesto pita bread pizza, or any other pita pizza, I use whole wheat flat bread pitas, the kind without pockets. They are about 7-8 inches across which makes them the perfect size for a personal pizza. If you have tried, and been bummed out by, tortilla pizzas I think you are going to really love these. Pitas are perfect for easy homemade pizza because they can support the weight of the toppings, the edges get nice and toasty, and the bread has a nice chew.
For toppings go as simple or gourmet as you please. Use ingredients your family likes, or whatever is leftover. I like a combination of meat, veggies, and a salty cheese. Whatever you choose, have fun and enjoy this quick and easy pesto pita bread pizza.
Pesto pita bread pizza
- 4 6-7 inch whole wheat pitas, not the pocket kind
- Olive oil spray
- ½ cup pesto suggested recipe: easy kale pesto
- 1 cup Italian chicken sausage cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes halved
- ½ cup feta cheese crumbled
- Optional: drizzle with a balsamic reduction after baking
- Preheat the oven to 425F. Arrange the pitas 2 per rimmed baking pan. Lightly spray each pita with olive oil mist (or brush on) just around the edges.
- Spread each pita with and equal amount of pesto then layer on the sausage, tomatoes, and sprinkle with feta.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes until the edges of the pitas are golden brown and toasty.
Leave a Reply