Easy Apple Cinnamon Homemade Granola; a quick and easy granola you can make at home. Paired with yogurt it makes quick, deliciously satisfying, weight loss friendly breakfast to eat at home or on-the-go. Experienced granola makers will love this simple recipe featuring bold autumn inspired flavors. For anyone newly aspiring to make homemade granola, this apple cinnamon homemade granola, is the perfect recipe to get started.
- Healthy granola recipe you can prepare in minutes and savor all week.
- Sprinkle over yogurt or cottage cheese for a quick low calorie breakfast; tastes delicious and will satisfy your hunger.
- Easy recipe to double or triple for a tasty holiday gift, unique bake sale item, or serving weekend guests.
I remember my first batch of homemade granola. Surely, I thought, something so wonderful would be complicated to make at home. I mean, if making cereal were simple, why would there be an entire aisle of the grocery store dedicated to this breakfast staple?
Weeks before, I sampled a fresh batch of granola made by a friend who shared the tasty treat with our moms' group. It was incredible! Each bite was full of nuts, dried fruit, aromatic spices, and of course super crunchy oats - leagues beyond my usual breakfast cereal. Those first toasty bites tasty more like dessert than a nutritious breakfast food.
For days after, the combination of sweet toasty oats and crunchy nuts kept popping up in my mind. I wanted to enjoy the flavors again. However, my lack of experience with the process of making granola caused me to hesitate. When it became clear the memory would not be dismissed, I made up my mind to give making granola a try. Gathering the ingredients for my friend's recipe I prepared for a challenge.
As it turns out, I could not have been more over the top in my thinking. By the time my first batch of homemade granola was cooling I realized granola was probably one of the easiest, most rewarding cooking projects I had ever attempted. In fact, I was so proud of my newly developed skill I went on to make batch after batch to give away as Christmas gifts. I am snickering now but at the time, I was so nervous I was somehow going to fail at homemade granola, I almost gave up before turning on the oven.
This homemade granola, with fragrant cinnamon and crisp apple chips, is even easier than the recipe I fell in love with years ago. Compared to both commercially prepared and homemade granola recipes this one uses very little added sugar or fat. There is just enough oil to coat the ingredients thus allowing the oats to achieve that essential crunch I love. The subtle flavor of agave gives a quiet boost to the natural sweetness of the apples and cinnamon without competing to be the dominate flavor. If agave is not in your pantry it can easily be replaced with and equal amount of honey.
For a super-fast breakfast that tastes a lot like apple pie, sprinkle a bit of this granola with a couple teaspoons of minced pecans and serve over plain Greek yogurt. If you are really pinched for time, layer it in a container with yogurt on the bottom, berries in the middle, and granola on the top, seal it up with a tight fitting lid and take your breakfast to-go. This granola is so much tastier than those pricey coffee shop parfaits and you will save both time and money by making your breakfast at home.
Easy Apple Cinnamon Homemade Granola
- 2 cups old fashion oats
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil may substitute other neutral flavored oil
- 2 tablespoons agave may substitute honey
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground all spice
- 1 cup Bare apple chips Fuji & Reds, crushed into pieces ½ inch or smaller
- Pre-heat your oven to 325F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the oats with the oil, agave, cinnamon, salt, and all spice. Stir until the oats are uniformly coated with the seasonings.
- Spread the oats on the prepared pan then bake for 15 minutes, remove from the oven and stir gently, then return to the oven to continue baking for an additional 15 minutes. The oats will be a toasty color and very fragrant but feel soft when stirred. Gently stir in the crushed apple chips. Allow the granola to cool completely before storing in a sealed container. Keep the granola in a cool dry cupboard, it should stay fresh for up to 2 weeks.