My neighborhood is currently in the midst of what could be the biggest snow fall of the decade. I don't have to go anywhere and am really enjoying the wintry weather. After a few days of watching the snow outside my windows I was really in the mood for something freshly baked. Something warm and hearty like a muffin or coffee cake. I was less motivated to start completely from scratch. Cheryl, a reader and friend has been working on a blueberry bran muffin recipe using a box mix as a starting point so I took her inspiration and ran with it.
A while back I came upon a selection of whole grain baking mixes by Kids Central Kitchen at a local grocery store and picked out a box of Swinging Monkey Banana Bread for a day just like today. In addition to the whole wheat flour and oat bran in the mix the final product only has 130 calories and 5 grams of fat per slice or muffin. I love it when companies make my job easier and do the sliming down for me.
On the back of the box there are a couple of variations on ways to prepare the mix. I started with their instructions for Apple Spice Bread and then added my own flair (this changed the printed nutrition information but not by a lot). This would be an easy recipe to make from another quick bread mix so grab one and try it!
Applesauce Spice Bread
- 1 Box of Whole Grain Quick Bread Mix (such as Kids Central Kitchen Swinging Monkey Banana Bread Mix)
- Approx - ¼ teaspoon All Spice,
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
- Scant ¼ teaspoon Cardamom (optional)
- ¼ Grated Fresh Ginger
- ¼ cup. Dried Cranberries
- 1 cup Chunky Apple Sauce (homemade if you've got it!)
- 1 TB Vegetable Oil
- 2 TB Fat Free Strained Greek Yogurt - Plain
- ¼ Cup Old Fashion Oats (plus a little more for the top)
- 2 teaspoon Pecan Bits (for the top)
- Pre heat the oven per the baking temperatures indicated on the box - Mine used 325.
- Mix together all the ingredients (except the pecan bits) should be moist but not wet.
- Pour batter into a loaf pan (non-stick or sprayed with non-stick spray)
- Sprinkle additional oats (1TB or less) and the pecan pieces over the top of the loaf and place into preheated oven until cooked through. I cooked mine about 15 minutes longer than the package directions.
- Let the loaf rest for 5-10 minutes before turning out of the pan. Slice into 10-12 slices (will effect the nutrition information). Enjoy with a warm beverage!
this bread looks great! I agree, during the snow storm, nothing better than something baking in your oven! the new site looks great!