Quick & easy avocado crema has a mild avocado and a tangy lime flavor. Avocado crema can be added anywhere you would have guacamole. Try it as a condiment for sandwiches or a creamy dip for veggies.
- Lower in fat and calories with more protein than avocado alone.
- Quick & easy to make in the food processor.
- Use as a dip or condiment for tacos, wraps, sandwiches and more.
Avocado occupies a strange position in the world of healthy food.
To me, avocados feel like the unwanted love child in a messy divorce between government backed nutrition lobbies and whole food diet advocates.
A 1 oz serving of avocado contains approximately 4.5g fat (reference), due to its higher fat content, avocados exceed the FDA's current maximum fat content, no more than 3g fat per serving, to be called a "healthy" food. However, in contrast to high fat processed foods, the natural, plant based, fat in avocados is arguably better for the body. Additionally, they contain a variety of nutrients that benefit the body.
So what is a calorie conscious eater to do?
I say, eat delicious food. If you like avocados have some avocado! For crying out loud people it's a plant for goodness sake!
I have found some fun ways to feature the avocado flavor I love in ways that stretch the calories. This avocado cream for example doubles the amount of avocado by mixing it with tangy Greek yogurt and dressing it up with a bit of lime juice and cilantro. The flavor is mostly avocado. The Greek yogurt gives the dip a smooth and creamy texture that I love and makes it perfect for dolloping, dipping, and spreading on my favorite foods.
Also try: Tomatillo-Apple Guacamole
Avocado Crema with Yogurt
- ½ cup 1 small avocado
- ½ cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoon lime juice
- ½ cup cilantro leaves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Blend everything in a food processor until smooth (1-2 minutes). Refrigerate any leftovers for up to 3 days.
- Approximate nutrition per serving
- calories, 2g fat, 153mg sodium, 2g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, < 1g sugar, 2g protein