With all the parties this time of year you may be on the look out for something new to add to your potluck recipe collection.
Roasted Red Pepper-Feta Dip was one of the recipes featured in my recent Eat Merrily & Be Light cooking classes. It was a huge hit. I heard from a number of people the week after they took the class, and they all mentioned making this dip either for their family at home or to take to a party. Last week my husband, Mike, made some to take a work party. His co-workers raved about it. One went and grabbed his lunch, then added the dip as a condiment on top. Another, who was visiting from out of town, threatened to hide it so he could eat the dip for dinner rather than going out to eat. Not entirely a bad idea, actually.
After the office party success, Mike came home and made a double batch, for two, of the three, parties we attended over the weekend. The dip made a nice addition to both potluck spreads and provided a welcome fresh alternative to the richer baked goodies.
Roasted Red Pepper-Feta Dip is super creamy. It can be scooped up on just about anything. We have been loving it with homemade baked whole wheat tortilla chips. It also makes a fantastic spread for a wrapped sandwich. If dip isn't your thing, thin it with some of the water from the peppers to make a creamy salad dressing.
Make this dip a day before your party so the flavors have a chance to develop (aka. get all happy together). You'll love the way the slightly smoky piquillo peppers and little zing of garlic blend with the light saltiness of the feta. The peppers have the tiniest bit of chili flavor but this is by no means a spicy dip. Any heat the peppers might have is cooled by the tang of Greek yogurt cream cheese (that's right, Greek yogurt cream cheese!), which lends a subtle tang and provides a lovely creaminess without becoming overly rich. A hearty helping of dill ties everything together with a bright flavor you might not expect this time of year. Dill makes a welcome diversion from the more aggressive herbs used in cooking around the holidays. Which brings me to the best part - nothing about this recipe is specifically holiday inspired after you fall in love with the flavors you can enjoy this dip any time of year!
Roasted Red Pepper & Feta Dip
- 1 medium garlic clove
- 8 oz Greek yogurt cream cheese softened slightly
- ½ cup reduced fat feta cheese
- ¾ cup roasted piquillo peppers packed in water, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dry dill may use fresh
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Place the garlic clove in the bowl of a food processor, or blender, and pulse a few times until it is minced.
- Cut the cream cheese into four smaller bricks then add them to the food processor bowl with the remaining ingredients.
- Process the ingredients for 4 minutes or until they are well blended then scoop into a dish.
- Cover and store the dip for 2 hours up to overnight before serving. Store any remaining dip, tightly wrapped, for up to 1 week.
Substitutions (substitutions may alter the nutrition information):
Reduced fat cream cheese may be used in place of the Greek yogurt cream cheese.
Fat free feta cheese will work in place of reduced fat feta cheese.