Watermelon is a summertime essential. With a few zesty additions this watermelon salad is a slightly more grown up way to serve everyone's favorite summer side dish. It will be a welcome addition to a causal picnic or an upscale outdoor dinner party.
- A refreshing summer fruit salad with a zesty twist.
- Watermelon salad features simple ingredients combined in an unexpected way - not your average fruit salad.
- Under 100 calories, only 12g of carbohydrates, and 2 Weight Watcher's Points Plus per serving
If it were music, the natural sugary sweetness of fresh watermelon would be a beautiful clear high note. I think that is why I prefer watermelon plain in the morning, it is crisp and energetic.
When you add a a bit of salt and acidity that single note becomes more of a sultry hum. That deeper resonance is why I like this salad later in the day. It matches the mood of my current favorite bluesy playlist featuring soulful ladies like Patti Griffin and Emmy Lou Harris.
This watermelon salad dressed with lime, garnished with mint, sprinkled with bursts of jalapeño, and salted by an ocean of feta cheese has a sultry hum.
Do not hesitate to serve this alongside any grilled entree. You would be welcomed to any barbecue or picnic with a bowl of this salad to share. On the other hand, you can't go wrong simply grabbing the bowl, pouring a glass of dry rose, and heading outside to watch the sunset with some great bluesy music playing in the background.
Before you make the recipe visit, The Easiest Way to Cut Watermelon, for a no fuss-no mess way to make the watermelon cubes for this recipe.
Watermelon Salad with Feta and Jalapeños
- • 8 cups cubed seedless watermelon
- • ½ cup mint cut into thin ribbons
- • 1 medium jalapeño seeds and membranes removed diced into tiny cubes
- • ½ cup reduced fat feta cheese
- • ¼ cup of juice from 2 large limes - if needed add a touch of white vinegar to reach a full ¼ cup.
- • ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt
- • ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- In a large bowl combine watermelon cubes, mint, jalapeño, and feta cheese. Pour over the lime juice and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Stir well. Serve cold.
Leave a Reply